Wednesday, September 20, 2017

I Will Never Give Up on Love

My dear friends, today is a day of reflection for me. I feel the turmoil and the fragility of our democracy intensely. And I wonder: what can I do? Do I just turn away and close my eyes? Do I allow the sense of powerlessness that washes over me to win? 

I don't know the answers. But I have decided that there are things I can do right now: I will stand up for love and inclusion. I will hug my children and kiss my spouse. I will love my neighbor. I will promote understanding and acceptance by listening deeply when I encounter viewpoints that are different from my own. I will be vigilant that my words are aligned with my sense of integrity. I will not use what I believe to manipulate others. I will personify the peace that I seek in this world. And when I fail to do so, I will forgive myself and try again. 

I will fight hatred and injustice by not fanning its flames. I will reach out to people in need. I will seek to walk a mile in others' shoes before I judge. I will stand like a rock when winds of anger blow past me. I will not buy into the hype that seeks to only separate and outrage. I will deepen my commitment to learning our history and understand that freedom is not possible for all until truth and reconciliation (rather than repression and ignorance) are heard, processed, and honored. 

I will do research when met with cheap talking points aimed to infuriate and inflame. I will embody love each time I am met with anger and fear. I will. And I will renew my commitment each time I fail and keep going. I will walk boldly and with determination. I will remind myself that growth is painful. I will never give up on love.

     – Marie Trout, 8/12/17

Marie became a U.S. citizen this month. She says: 
Feel free to copy, or modify (the above) however meaningful to you and state it to yourself, to your friends, and set your intention too for each step forward. We are the future. We have the power.

Question of the week: What have you done for love or justice that was out of your comfort zone?

Closing reflection:  
There is no way to peace; peace is the way.
     -A. J. Muste



1 comment:

  1. In answer to your question of the week: I am out of my comfort zone in protest actions as there is a lot of unpredictability in the actions. However, being born and raised in Berkeley area, I have dedicated much of my life to peaceful protest. Out of love for all people and for the environment, I believe it is my duty to stand up for justice and inclusiveness and express my feelings of concern. I do my best to avoid confrontation and to encourage dialog with those whose opinions differ from mine. Achieving mutual understanding, which is not the same thing as mutual agreement, leads to personal growth for all involved.

    Though I am basically a shy person, I participate in political campaigns for candidates who stand for justice and inclusiveness. I walk precincts and stand in front of stores handing out materials and talking to people. I find it somewhat intimidating, but the mission is worth a little discomfort.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts